The Howe Cup
The Howe Cup is the United States’ largest squash event for women and an annual team championship tournament run by US Squash. The annual women’s five-person team tournament began in 1928 as an inter-city competition between New York, Philadelphia and Boston. It received the Howe Cup title in 1955 when Virginia Griggs of New York City donated a permanent trophy, the Howe Cup, named in honor of Margaret Howe and her twin daughters Peggy and Betty. Margaret A. Howe was the US Champion in 1929, ’32 and ’34. Peggy Howe White was the US Champion in 1952 and ’53. Betty Howe Constable was the US Champion in 1950, ’56-’59 and then went on to become the Women’s Squash coach at Princeton University from 1972-1991.
The B Division was started in 1958, the C Division was added in 1968 and the D division in 2008. In 1993 the Howe Cup tournament converted from hardball to softball. Since the conversion participation in the tournament has grown so much that often regions send several teams in each division. The Howe Cup has been held all over the country and in 2004 in New York City an A Doubles draw was included for the first time.