POSITION VACANCY June 7, 2023
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of more than 2,200 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics.
Director of Squash Operations
Department of Athletics
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
Colby is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and has 28 intercollegiate sports that compete at the Division III level, and four programs (men’s and women’s Alpine and Nordic Skiing) that compete at the Division I level. The department also hosts a variety of club and intramural sports. Over one-third of Colby’s 2,200 students participate in intercollegiate sports, and in total, nearly three-quarters are involved in fitness and recreation activities in the department.
The College is home to a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, which is among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center includes an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine’s first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength and fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III.
The Colby College Department of Athletics is seeking director of squash operations beginning August 1, 2023 through May 31, 2024. The director of squash operation’s responsibilities include serving as the requiting coordinator, managing the logistics of team travel, coordinating clinics, preparing film breakdown and also assisting the head coach in other duties involved in running a competitive Division III squash program. Colby College is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where every member of the community feels a sense of respect and belonging.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the recruiting coordinator; maintain outreach and correspondence with both international and domestic recruits; build relationships with prospective student athletes and their families through email, phone and one-on-one meetings
- Organize and implement recruit visits
- Travel as needed to evaluate academic and athletic credentials of recruits to ensure that academic and performance standards are met
- Establish relationships with foreign and domestic high schools, private schools, and prep schools to create effective recruiting opportunities
- Ensure the practice and competition courts are clean and prepared for both practices and competition; collaborate with facilities for necessary repairs
- Coordinate team travel including booking hotels, confirming bus locations and departure times, reserve 12-passenger vans as needed, communicate travel plans to players, parents, and department personnel
- Coordinate practice times based on academic schedules
- Update and maintain all squash social media accounts
- Assist in on-site coaching in games and practices, including strategy and skill development
- Prepare film breakdown and analysis, and present analysis to team members
- Contribute to strength and conditioning program, including one-on-one strength and conditioning work with student athletes
- Provide support and encouragement to student athletes, including academic counseling and advising
- Monitor academic progress of athletes
- Understand NCAA rules, compliance, and laws
- Ensure safety and well-being of student athletes
- Serve as an effective role model for college-age students
- Provide effective communication to head coach
- Collaborate effectively with other Department of Athletics’ team members
- Attend and participate in department trainings pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Position will have a secondary assignment within the department
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience preferred
- Experience working with/developing higher level squash athletes is required
- Committed to the values of a liberal arts education
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering
- Must be organized, take initiative, and utilize strong time management skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Ability to travel for team practices, competition, and scouting in and out of state
- Willingness to travel by air and internationally is required at the time of hiring and throughout the term of employment
- Strong positive communication and interpersonal skills with all levels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to excel as a member of a diverse community
This position has significant interaction with high school and college student athletes and their families, as well as coaches and administrators.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Operates on grass, turf, courts, gymnasium, and training rooms. General open office and campus environment. Position involves both sitting, movement, and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds in coaching and training situations. Frequent travel and early morning/evening/weekend work is required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Successful and satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the “Apply” button on the Colby Careers website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Director of Squash Operations – Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855