Start Date: September, 2023
Education: High School and Above
Location: New Haven, CT
Salary/Wage: Commensurate with experience
Squash Haven was founded in 2007 as an out-of-school time enrichment program for New Haven Public School students. The program uses the sport of squash, in combination with academic tutoring, literacy development, fitness education, community service, college access, and career development to empower and make a lasting difference in the lives of New Haven young people. Team members thrive in our student-centered environment that also features individual relationships, a close and collaborative staff and inclusive culture. Founded in 2006, Squash Haven has grown from one staff member and 20 5th and 6th grade students to an inspiring community of 160 students in 5th grade through college graduates as well as a full-time staff of seven.
The Squash Director is responsible for managing all aspects of one of the strongest squash programs in the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA), with 50% of team members going on to play college squash. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director will join a veteran senior staff that brings a combined 40 years of experience to the organization. Squash Haven’s access to Yale’s facility, volunteer coaching by the Yale teams, and enthusiastic participants and staff make this a very desirable professional opportunity. The successful candidate will build a competitive, organized, and fun learning environment for students of all levels and will be an inspiring leader and effective manager.
- Lead fun, high energy, and well-taught daily squash sessions during after-school hours, weekends, and summer aimed at improving the level of all students and instilling a love for the sport of squash
- Build a collegial staff and effectively manage and support the professional development of 2 squash coaches and a corps of volunteer coaches
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with Squash Haven students and their families that enhance their sense of belonging and engagement in squash
- Track and monitor key student performance metrics including skill level, tournament participation, and other related data aimed at assessing overall performance
- Oversee tournament selections and enrollment as well as US Squash memberships and SEA activities
- Proactively seek out additional training and competitive opportunities for team members
- Manage additional aspects of the squash program including student recruitment, tryouts, summer camp, and equipment
- Communicate and collaborate effective with Yale coaching staff to ensure outstanding court access and student experience
- Initiate opportunities to host US Squash and SEA events
- Ensure consistent and active involvement with the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA) initiatives and programming, including their High-Performance Team.
- Provide updates for internal and external stakeholders, including staff, families, Squash Haven Board of Directors, and the general Squash Haven community
- Collaborate with the Director of College Access and Persistence to strengthen the college squash pathway for high-potential students, providing individualized student and family support where needed
- Collaborate on and participate in additional program-wide activities
Qualifications and Qualities:
Candidates should possess the following: Experience working with young people aged 10-18; 5+ years of coaching squash; outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills; interest in building deep staff and student relationships; commitment to empowering historically marginalized populations; high level of energy, curiosity, creativity and willingness to grow; demonstrated supervisory and/or leadership experience; strong analytical skills; results-oriented with impeccable attention to detail; experience with tournament and/or event planning a plus. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a van required.
- September – mid-June: 11am-7pm
- Mid-June –August: 9am-5pm
- While the position entails weekend work for tournament hosting and travel, Squash Haven prioritizes a healthy work/life balance and flexibility of schedule where possible.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Vacation & Benefits: Five weeks of vacation and five personal days. A generous benefits plan includes health & dental coverage and a Simple IRA match
Commitment: Expectation of a multi-year commitment, contingent on successful assumption of responsibilities and positive performance reviews
Other: Squash Haven will provide visa support if necessary for the right candidate
How to Apply: Email resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Squash Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not tolerate workplace discrimination or harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made based on ability and qualifications of applicants for the particular position and are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Squash Haven encourages all interested applicants to apply to join our team.