Start Date: September, 2023
Location: New Haven, CT
Squash Haven was founded in 2007 as an out-of-school time enrichment program for New Haven Public School students. The program uses the sport of squash, in combination with academic tutoring, literacy development, fitness education, community service, college access, and career development to empower and make a lasting difference in the lives of New Haven young people. Team members thrive in our student-centered environment that also features individual relationships, a close and collaborative staff and inclusive culture. Founded in 2006, Squash Haven has grown from one staff member and 20 5th and 6th grade students to an inspiring community of 160 students in 5th grade through college graduates as well as a full-time staff of seven. The program runs out of Yale University’s Brady Squash Center.
The Coordinator will be a leader for one of the strongest squash programs in the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA), with 50% of team members going on to play college squash. Reporting to the Squash Director and working closely with the Squash Coach and additional volunteers, the Coordinator will be responsible for daily coaching and program administration. The successful candidate will contribute to a competitive, organized, and fun learning environment for students of all levels and will be an inspiring leader and an eager learner and contributor. They will be enthusiastic, hardworking, and growth-minded with strong squash playing and/or coaching experience and a desire to pay that love of sport forward
- Lead and support fun, high energy, and well-taught daily squash sessions during after-school hours, weekends, and summer aimed at improving the level of all students and instilling a love for the sport of squash
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with Squash Haven students and their families that enhance their sense of belonging and engagement in squash
- Help track and monitor key student performance metrics including skill level, tournament participation, attendance and other data aimed at assessing performance and participation
- Support tournament selections, US Squash memberships and Squash and Education Alliance activities; Proactively seek out additional training and competitive opportunities for team members, including event hosting
- Manage additional aspects of the squash program including student recruitment, tryouts, summer camp, and equipment
- Collaborate on and participate in additional program-wide activities
- September – mid-June: 11am-7pm
- Mid-June –August: 9am-5pm
- While the position entails weekend work for tournament hosting and travel, Squash Haven prioritizes a healthy work/life balance and flexibility of schedule where possible
Salary: $46,000-$51,000. Benefits include employer-supported health and dental coverage, monthly cell phone and parking stipends, 5 personal days, and 401k contributions.
Vacation: The position includes 6 weeks of vacation annually: 1 in November, 1 in December, 1 in March, and 3 in the summer. Some but not all national holidays are off.
Start Date: September, 2023
Commitment: Expectation of a multi-year commitment, contingent on successful assumption of responsibilities and positive performance reviews
Preferred Professional and Personal Qualifications:
- Squash playing and/or coaching experience, love of the game
- Experience working with young people in an athletic or educational setting
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to empowering historically marginalized populations
- High level of energy, curiosity, creativity and willingness to grow
- Interest in building deep staff and student relationships
- Clean driving record and ability to drive students in a 15 passenger van
How to Apply: Email resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Squash Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not tolerate workplace discrimination or harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made based on ability and qualifications of applicants for the particular position and are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Squash Haven encourages all interested applicants to apply to join our team.