Director of Squash
Faculty, Full-Time, Academic Year, Exempt
The Fall coaching season runs from 8/29/2023 to 10/28/2023. The Winter coaching season runs from 11/7/2023 to 2/25/2023, with U.S. Squash High School Nationals being the culminating event.
Mercersburg Academy is engaged in a search for an educator/Director of Squash who will sustain a high level prep school squash program and who will be a positive contributor to our school community.
Mercersburg Academy is a private, college-prep boarding school located in south-central Pennsylvania, about 90 minutes from the Baltimore/Washington DC metro area. The school’s Mission and Core Values guide our vision and direction. Founder Dr. William Mann Irvine’s motto of Hard Work, Fair Play, Clean Life is the foundation of our athletic Core Principles.
The Director of Squash creates and sustains a vision that embodies the purpose and the goals of athletics at Mercersburg. The primary focus for every coach at Mercersburg is to provide a transformative experience for every participant in their program, regardless of level of play or area of contribution.
The head coach manages a highly competitive squash that spans two levels of play. The coach is highly active in admission recruiting for the school, works with families on college recruiting opportunities, and engages in clinics, camps, and conferences in the off-season.
Applicants should possess experience at playing and coaching at either the professional, collegiate or high school level. Previous experience in coaching squash is required.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume via the Mercersburg Academy applicant site.
Expectations and Responsibilities
● Follow an established admission recruiting strategy that involves travel to appropriate events/venues, promotional endeavors, and staging host events for admission recruiting purposes.
● Establish and coordinate outreach programs-clinics and service opportunities.
● Work with the Summer and External Programs office to offer and coordinate Mercersburg engagement in summer squash camps, identifying programs that can correlate to the school’s efforts in admission and enrollment.
● Organize and structure development opportunities for Mercersburg players and coaches, including hosting visiting clinicians and travel opportunities.
● Scale the vision and progression of the standard squash season for all levels of the program.
○ Effectively set and communicate short, intermediate, and long-term goals and execute action steps with the coaching staff and team(s).
○ Designate coaching assignments relative to scheduled events.
○ Oversee the coordination of practice plans, with the Associate Head Coach.
● Work with the College Counseling Office to coordinate the college recruiting efforts for student-athletes who are viable prospects.
○ Conduct outreach to establish and maintain a vibrant network on the collegiate level both for potential matriculation of Mercersburg students and potential referrals to Mercersburg.
● Initiate and guide engagement with U.S. Squash, to include participation by Mercersburg players in USS events/tournaments as well as hosting USS tournaments.
The head coaching responsibilities will combine with other areas of need at the school to provide a qualified candidate with a full-time, fully benefitted faculty or staff appointment. This could be in an academic area, auxiliary programs, and/or residential life.
Residential: This position will participate in all aspects of the school including participation in our student life program which may include advisory to a group of students, dormitory duty, involvement in our Peer Group and Mentor Leader program, and student support.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
● Strong leadership skills with the ability to work effectively with students and other staff members.
● Organizational skills with the ability to handle details of the program.
● Effective communicator who is able to build relationships with student leaders and faculty.
● Set culture and tone for student-athletes and coaching staff.
● Flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of an ever-changing boarding school environment.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Experience playing and coaching at either the professional, collegiate or high school level. Previous experience in coaching squash is required.
● Experience working with adolescents both one-on-one and in group settings.
● Valid driver’s license.
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed mostly in an indoor/office environment where the noise level is quiet.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to coach; may occasionally lift up 20 lbs.; sufficient manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate office machinery, specifically a computer and keyboard.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction to be able to see close, distance, and to focus. Auditory: Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to talk and hear by telephone and in person.