TITLE: Events & Member Services Manager
DEPARTMENT: Specter Center Operations
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations and Services;
General Manager, Arlen Specter US Squash Center
The Events & Member Services Manager has a key role at the Specter Center that influences the culture and atmosphere every day for our members, guests, and staff. This appointment will work with a dedicated group of professionals who are passionate about growing the sport and supporting the Specter Center operations. Pillars of this position are Event Management, Member Services, and Operational Support. Serve as the point person for managing logistics for our events and tournaments, such as food and beverage, rentals, décor, arrival experience, and set-up. Responsible for membership transactions and serve as a ‘go to’ for member inquiries. Ensure clear communication of all arrangements among stakeholders. Implement operational procedures and maintain service standards for front-of-house personnel. Provide leadership, resources, and training to hourly and seasonal staff.
Areas of responsibility include Front Desk & Reception, Facilities (in-house and third-party custodians and maintenance), Member/Guest Services, Pro Shop/Merchandise, and Event & Tournament preparation and execution. Hires and trains team members on systems and procedures during the onboarding process and maintains best business practices while providing excellent customer service.
Specter Center, including squash courts, administrative offices, guest-facing areas (front-of-house) and back-of-house facilities, performance center, locker rooms and Learning Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Event Management: planning, organization, logistics and execution of Specter Center events, including the hospitality component of tournaments.
- Manage third-party caterer related to:
- Responding to client inquiries;
- Facility needs, reception, and décor;
- Providing proposals and invoices for facility rental;
- Collecting payments;
- Communicating arrangements to all stakeholders;
- Attend events and be a resource for clients;
- Ensuring rental agreements are executed and deposits collected;
- Communicate technology needs to IT Specialist and tech vendors
- Serve as Manager-on-Duty, as assigned.
- Exercise proficiency in facility management software (Club Locker) and complementary systems, and:
- Ensure pertinent member data remains up to date.
- Review and confirm programs and services are accurately reflected on the court sheets and are billed accordingly.
- Ensure the management system is utilized to its full potential; and provide feedback regarding Club Locker and other systems in order to improve efficiency.
- Provide tours to prospective new members, answer general questions, and request and capture contact information, as requested.
- Own the Sponsored Membership process – criteria, processing, and onboarding.
- Work with Operations Director, Squash Director, and Tournaments team on court bookings and keep facility court reservations up to date.
- Work with Accounting Department to ensure billing practices/procedures are accurate – including cash handling, Club Locker transactions, and credit cards processing procedures related to the Front Desk and Pro Shop.
- Ensure pertinent information regarding Specter Center activities are communicated to staff team members in a timely manner so they remain informed and knowledgeable.
- Complete scheduled walk-through inspections of facilities and report needed maintenance and upkeep to appropriate staff team members.
- Follow Specter Center emergency action plans. Ensure all direct reports receive training and maintain certifications.
- In collaboration with the Operations Director, assist in the hiring process and management of seasonal co-ops and summer interns. This includes assigning and working with other staff in the organization to create and execute projects.
- Manage towel vendor relationship and ensure towel service and ensure standards or kept for locker rooms.
- Assist pro shop sales and monthly inventory of merchandise.
- Verify payroll for hourly appointments for accuracy, including front desk and public space cleaners.
- Identify opportunities to cross-train ‘front-of-house’ and operations team members.
- Train and support team members while modeling enthusiastic, personalized service. Training to include systems and procedures, reporting facility and system deficiencies, payroll, member/guest check-in, documenting and reporting injuries, emergency procedures, and purchasing requests.
- Manage Front Desk operations and Public Space teams in accordance with the Specter Center and US Squash vision and values. This includes supervision of the custodial staff, and Front Desk Supervisors and Customer Service team members.
- Assist Squash Director with member- and guest program enrollments and billing.
- Oversee the lost and found and day-use lockers – ensure any remaining items in lockers are removed at the end of each day and all procedures related to locker use and rental are followed.
- Ensure all opening and closing procedures are completed appropriately.
- Work with Supervisors to provide ongoing training – both one-on-one and in small groups – with staff team members to continue to improve customer service standards and operational efficiencies.
- Enforce Front Desk procedures and service standards, and follow-up with team members to make sure protocols are followed.
- Contribute to overall Specter Center and US Squash team effort by completing additional duties as assigned.
- Degree, preferably in Hospitality Management, Communications, Public Relations, or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience managing events.
- At least two years’ experience in sales, preferably membership sales.
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office applications and experience with Desktop Publishing is preferred.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor.
All employees must learn and comply with all Specter Center safety rules; must use appropriate safety equipment at all times; must immediately report all unsafe conditions to supervisors; must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery or materials encompassed by job duties; and must check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
US Squash is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, marital status, disability, national origin, ancestry, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested candidates are kindly asked to send cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.