||$21.60-$24.00 per hour
||Hours per Week:
Squash Coordinator and Fitness Specialist
|Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia is seeking a mission-driven candidate for a unique and meaningful opportunity to start a squash and fitness program for kids ages 5-18 in a state-of-the-art, four-court squash center in a brand new 52,000-square-foot Boys & Girls Club. The Clubhouse is located on the most populated Albemarle County Public School campus in beautiful Charlottesville, Virginia.
The Squash Coordinator and Fitness Specialist provides direct services and supervision to Club members by planning, preparing, and implementing squash-based programming that is developmentally appropriate for youth members during out-of-school time. The Squash Coordinator and Fitness Specialist is responsible for ensuring the emotional and physical safety of groups of Club members, developing healthy and supportive relationships with all Club members, modeling academic success, healthy lifestyles, good character and citizenship with youth. Reporting to the Director of Club Operations, the Squash Coach is responsible for working with the Squash Consultant and Albemarle Campus Club Unit Director to deliver the optimal Club experience for all members, focusing on the mission and core values of BGCCVA.
- Conduct new member and staff squash orientation(s) into the facility and Club programs.
- Develop programs in a new area with members that have previously limited exposure to the sport of squash.
- Teach Club members about squash rules, regulations, and good sportsmanship conduct.
- Promote the game of squash at the Albemarle Campus Club in alignment with the mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia.
- Maximize court use through creative and interactive programming during the daytime, on family and community nights, including some evenings and weekends.
- Support the Consulting Director and Squash Subcommittee to attract and retain members by organizing, scheduling, and promoting member social events, leagues, round robins, drop-ins, tournaments, lessons, and all other events as applicable.
- Facilitate the achievement of the Club’s Priority Outcome Areas (Healthy Lifestyles, Academic Success, and Good Character & Citizenship).
- Manage Club inventory of squash materials ensuring adherence to budgeted numbers.
- Manage the budget for supplies as needed or requested.
- Align squash and fitness programs with the overall mission and program schedule of the Club by consulting with Albemarle County Club leadership.
- Implement multi-tiered programming created by the Consulting Director that reflects all developmental stages for ages 5-18.
- Maximize the use of facility to take advantage of seasonal changes and promote a culture of accessibility through the sport of squash.
- Create and facilitate a network for a higher-level squash track for high-interest Club and community members including local high school athletics directors.
- Participate in Club, local, regional and national tournament or event committees as the squash program representative.
- Internal: Maintain regular communication channels with the Squash Consultant, other Club specialists, the Unit Director, and the Lead Program Coordinator to ensure alignment with overall Club goals.
- External: Interface and communicate with external squash partners; UVA, Saint Anne’s-Belfield, Woodberry Forest, Boar’s Head Resort, US Squash and other logical partners.
- Other External Partners: Engage professional squash organizations or other racquet affiliated organizations and potential volunteers in the squash community.
- Engage outside resources in the local school system to further squash in the community.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Promotes the success of initiatives developed for the engagement of marginalized communities through related Club DEI programs and standards.
- Communicates verbal instructions.
- Breaks down complex tasks into manageable steps for a wide range of age groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to the social, emotional, academic development, as well as the athletic needs of student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to implement youth programs with tangible outcomes based on best practices and evaluation.
- High-level ability to teach/coach others.
- Competency in racquet sports and willingness to pursue squash certification under direction of the Squash Consultant.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 3+ years of youth development and mentoring experience preferred
- Racquet sport experience preferred (employer willing to train)
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Reasonable accommodation provisions will be applied in line with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
BGCCVA provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, gender, disability, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
BGCCVA Mission: To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.