Salary: Compensation includes a competitive salary, hourly lesson and clinics fees and benefits.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Location: Harlem, New York
Language: English, Spanish a plus
Type: Full Time, minimum two-year commitment required
Start Date: September 1st (10 month contact)
About The Squash Academy
The Squash Academy is an intensive year round program for junior players from New York and the surrounding areas. The vision for this program is to create an additional revenue stream for StreetSquash while simultaneously attracting some of the best coaches in the country. The program operates outside of the hours that the StreetSquash After School program runs.The ability to fully utilize the state of the art 8 court facility for lessons, clinics and tournaments makes this an ideal program for a motivated and passionate coach to spearhead the growth and development of junior players as well as the adult players who can access the program through our “Pay to Play” model.
About the Position
The Squash Academy, which is based at StreetSquash in Harlem, NY, is seeking a driven, innovative Head Squash Professional with a passion for coaching squash in a training program that looks to combine a junior performance academy, community squash, and afterschool program to give students world class squash instruction. This role will report to the Director of squash and gives the individual the ability to earn significant additional revenue from teaching lessons, clinics, high school practices and tournaments. This position will begin on September 1st.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Network with other squash related organizations, squash clubs and other service providers to refer students to the Academy and provide opportunities for StreetSquash
- Be responsible for creating training plans for StreetSquash players as well as all Academy players
- Actively coach in group clinics and design session plans that apply to each individual player, regardless of level
- Build the pool of players for the Academy by actively recruiting new participants
- Assist in the daily after-school squash and fitness sessions as well as provide private and group instruction for StreetSquash students.
- Teach 20 hrs of pvt lessons and run 2 group clinics a week
- Create a broader community of squash players to maximize the usage of the facility 7 days a week.
- Must have 5-10 years of professional coaching experience
- Must be high skill level player (5.5 or higher), certification not required but desired
- Project management, interpersonal, organizational and networking skills critical
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities with a commitment to youth development
- Personable and significant experience working with adolescents
- Valid driver’s license and comfort/capacity to occasionally drive vans
- Must be able to regularly work weekends
Hours: For StreetSquash student practices/admin, the schedule is 12pm – 6:30 pm Mondays
– Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10am -2pm. These hours/days do not include the Academy; this position will give at minimum 20 hours per week of lessons at the Academy (which typically occur after 630pm Mondays-Thursday, after 2pm on Saturdays and 10am-5pm on Sundays).
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org StreetSquash is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.