The mission of the University Club of Washington, DC (UC) is to provide members and their families with congenial social gatherings, good fellowship, excellent dining, guest rooms, athletics, a rich variety of cultural, international and educational programs and activities to enhance health, wellness, intellectual growth and fitness within the Club’s superbly maintained and expanded historic Clubhouse.
The UC was the birthplace of squash in Washington, DC in the early 1920s and has grown to be a major pillar in the National Capital Region’s squash community. The mission of the squash program is to:
- To promote the game of Squash with members of all skill levels
- To have an active Squash Ladder and sponsor tournaments that are member only as well as US Squash Sanctioned
- To recruit new members and have members compete in league play at all levels
- To maintain and care for the courts and the squash area; and to encourage friendship, good health, and fair play
Job Description – Program Coordinator
This independent contractor position includes coordinating the squash program at the UC. The Program Coordinator will provide off court assistance to UC members and staff in ensuring the UC has a vibrant and active squash community. This will be accomplished by increasing the utilization of the two UC squash courts, increasing the utilization of Club Locker (squash court reservation platform), and ensuring adequate social events that promote squash and nurture the social side of the sport for members. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, duties, or responsibilities. Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Increase the utilization of Club Locker adoption among club members
- Increase the utilization of the two UC squash courts by scheduling court time
- Assist members in planning private squash lessons with the UC Squash Pros
- Plan and manage the UC Squash Ladder
- Plan and manage weekly UC Squash Box Leagues
- Plan and manage the UC Squash on Fire League Team(s)
- Plan and manage the other UC league teams
- Answer member’s questions and concerns about squash at the UC
- Plan and manage the communication of the squash programming to UC members, including using social media, email campaigns, and calling members
- Plan and manage at least two social squash events per month hosted at the UC
- Plan and manage at least four squash trips per year, ideally once per quarter
- Plan and manage squash tournaments at the UC
- Plan and manage at least two exhibition squash events per year at the UC
- Coordinate with the Squash Committee Chairperson
- Attend Squash Committee Meetings
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience providing program coordination, preferable in squash and/or racquet sports
- Event planning experience with excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills and able to prioritize and multitask without direct supervision
- Ability to work remotely with at least 50% on-site time.
- Provide expense and revenue data as requested for events/leagues
- Ability to quickly build rapport with members and pros
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with proven ability to interact with a diverse range of individuals, applying tact and discretion as situations demand
- Ability to learn and deploy web based platforms such as Club Locker
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensated on an hourly basis of between $20-$40/hour commensurate with experience
- Access to Club facilities to plan and execute squash programming at the UC
- Access to participate in social squash events as a UC contractor
- Representation on the UC’s website
Contractor hours can be flexible around squash programming.
Applicants should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related fields, such as Sports Management, Communications, Physical Education, Business, etc. or at least 3 years of professional experience
- Recent graduates working toward are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Send the following to email@example.com No phone calls please.
- A cover letter that is less than 200 words
- A resume or CV