The Toledo Club
235 14th Street
Toledo, Ohio 43604
The Toledo Club, one of the most beautiful and impressive City Clubs in the US, and Northwest Ohio’s premier private social and athletic club, is searching for its next General Manager. The Club is seeking a dynamic, energetic, driven individual, and offering a highly competitive salary with incentives based on mutually agreed upon goals for membership and event growth.
The Toledo Club is integral to the Toledo business, social and athletic communities. It is located within a half mile of the downtown city center featuring a growing business district, concert venues, convention center and two minor league sports teams (The Toledo Mudhens – baseball & The Toledo Walleye – hockey). The club is also located with easy access to the Toledo Museum of Art and the renowned Toledo Zoo.
The Toledo Club is a historic gem, founded in 1889 and built in 1915, architecturally stunning inside and out. Alongside the Founders Dining Room and the more casual Tavern Dining Room, The Toledo Club offers many meeting rooms for its members and numerous beautiful wedding and larger event spaces. The athletic facilities feature five squash courts and a vibrant squash program with over 200 active players, lead by Eddie Charlton, a former top 50 world ranked touring Squash Professional. The Club also has one of only a few indoor pools in Northwest Ohio, an indoor track, golf simulator, fitness center and variety of fitness classes.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the General Manager of The Toledo Club is to preserve the great history of the Club while remaining open-minded to industry trends and adaptions needed for the future. The private club model is constantly evolving, so it is important for the successful applicant to be proactive in moving with the times and placing emphasis on weddings/events, membership growth and athletics. The right candidate should possess great leadership skills, be an ambassador for the Toledo Club within the greater Toledo community and be a positive presence with current and potential members alike. The General Manager will lead a team of staff with weekly staff meetings, purposeful planning both short and long-term and will work closely with the Board of Directors. He or she will be responsible for maintaining a culture of attention to detail, hard-work and dedication amongst all of the staff. The successful candidate must also be a highly visible and respectful presence with the club’s membership base, must be an exceptional communicator and act as the club’s “face,” managing operations during regular business hours as well as during evening and weekend private parties and club functions. The General Manager will work closely with their management team to monitor goals and objectives, quality and service, as well as staff individual growth. He or she will oversee the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, supporting the strategic and tactical initiatives and expectations s/he has established with the Board.
INITIAL PRIORITIES OF THE GENERAL MANAGER
- Creates meaningful and impactful relationships with all of The Club’s members
- Plans and develops operational policies, programs, procedures, and methods alongside the Board of Directors
- Coordinates the development of the club’s long range and annual business plans. Examining and forecasting trends of membership demographics and service desires; ensuring a strong system of metrics with consistent monitoring to develop a proactive, solution-based approach with the board and staff
- Clearly defines job descriptions and service expectations, while ensuring that processes for hiring, training, and retention of key staff are in place to achieve consistency of performance throughout
- Supports the membership recruitment and retention efforts led by our active membership committee
- Provides advice to the Club President and appropriate committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets
- Attends meetings of the Club’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Broadens the scope of the Club’s operation by fulfilling the public obligations of the Club as a participating member of the community
- Consistently ensures standards of conduct and delivery are met
- Oversees orientation and on-boarding programs for new hires
- Maintains effective and efficient staffing and scheduling at all club dining events, balancing financial appropriateness with member satisfaction
- Is responsible for negotiations with the employees’ collective bargaining agreement with the union representative
- Ensures that staff in all areas are focused on positive, supportive relationships amongst themselves and with the membership and that inappropriate behavior of any type is not tolerated
BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL ACUMEN
- Proactively identifies project and business trends that are important to the long-term well-being and growth of The Toledo Club
- Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets
- Ensures that appropriate safeguards are in place for all of the Club’s primary assets (staff, membership, building, amenities etc.)
- Works with the President, Board of Directors and Controller to set necessary and measurable metrics for the successful operation of the food and beverage program including regularly analyzing costs, inventories, and monthly financial statements
- Maintains membership with the Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) and other professional associations. Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field.
- Is active, engaged and personable in all operations throughout the club, whether Athletics or dining, during periods of active usage
- Has strong communication and facilitation skills, both written and verbal
- Enjoys building relationships with club members, their families and guests
- Is responsible for ensuring regular communication with members on important updates, events etc.
- Holds regular team meetings with the appropriate staff members to ensure that expectations are regularly and clearly articulated
- Places great importance on staff communication and team building
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
- Ensures the highest standards for food and beverage production and service
- Develops and enhances consistent on boarding and training programs for all food service personnel
- Understands the financial metrics for successful attainment of goals and objectives in F&B operations
The General Manager of The Toledo Club reports to the President of the Board of Directors. The GM oversees Toledo Club functions and staffing with the following direct reports:
- Catering Director
- Executive Assistant and Membership Coordinator
- Athletic Director
The GM also provides support and guidance to the Club Committees, which are voluntary and advisory to the Toledo Club’s Board of Directors.
Compensation ranging from $75,000-110,000 commensurate with experience. Incentives for membership growth also considered. Health insurance and 401k plan.
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com