Job Title: Director of Community Squash
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Associate Executive Director & CEO
The de Ramel Family Squash Center, located at the Newport County YMCA in Middletown, RI, is seeking a full-time Director of Community Squash. This individual is a self-starter who is excited to build and grow a dynamic Community Squash program in a new state-of-the-art facility set to open December 2022. The ideal candidate is motivated to build our Community Squash program by engaging squash enthusiasts of all levels through lessons, clinics, leagues, camps, tournaments, and the Y’s RhodySquash Program. The incumbent will be eager to work with all members of the Newport County community to grow and sustain a vibrant squash program.
The new state-of-the-art de Ramel Family Squash Center, as part of a total $17M renovation and expansion of the Newport County YMCA, will consist of six single courts, one doubles court, pro shop, and the Jernigan Education Center to be the epicenter of RhodySquash. The Director of Community Squash will report to the NCYMCA’s Associate Executive Director and the CEO and work synergistically with other department and program directors. The Director of Community Squash will supervise the RhodySquash Program Coordinator.
- RhodySquash, originally founded in 2011 as a 501c3 non-profit in Newport, is a free year-round, afterschool enrichment/athletic program that combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, and mentoring for disadvantaged youth in grades 5-8 in Newport County. In May 2018, RhodySquash merged with the Newport County YMCA, creating a robust partnership that has strengthened the mission and outreach of RhodySquash while offering a permanent home for this life-changing program that promotes the cultivation of healthy habits among Newport County’s most vulnerable youth.
- Direct and manage the squash department to ensure financial performance meets budget requirements while achieving the organizations budget goals.
- Conduct new Y Member squash orientation(s) into the facility and programs available.
- Ensure courts and facilities are maintained in a professional and aesthetically satisfactory manner and ensure that the environment is safe for all those who use the facility.
- Plan and run squash sessions and activities, while implementing the organization’s mission and values. Squash sessions consist of group clinics that address technical, tactical, and physical aspects of the game.
- Organize, schedule, administer and promote member social events, leagues, round robins, drop-in, tournaments, lessons, and all other events as applicable, that appeal to the membership to motivate health and wellness. Build a strong culture that is aligned with the mission, vision, and core values of the YMCA.
- Recruit and retain a large and enthusiastic group of staff and volunteers to assist with programming/day to day operations of the squash center.
- Identify, plan, and create opportunities to generate activity and memberships to the squash center. Expand and introduce the sport of squash to a wide range of future members and build a robust squash program for players of all backgrounds and levels.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Work with other departments and program areas within the Y to expose the Y’s current membership and program base to the sport of squash.
- Collaborate with key staff and leadership on program-wide initiatives and projects
- Act as an ambassador for the organization and assist with development events and stewardship as needed
- Assist the Y’s Development Department in all fundraising efforts including our annual campaign, special events, and squash-related operational grants as necessary.
- Network with other local non-profits, schools, and civic organizations to provide enhanced programming opportunities
- Assistance with NCYMCA initiatives and “Director on Duty” assignments.
- Oversee the squash pro shop operations and equipment orders.
- Support students in their athletic, academic, and personal growth through programming and relationship-building
- Other duties as assigned by AED/CEO.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
While no one person will embody all the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum Level 1 Coaching Certification preferred
- One to two years (minimum) experience playing and coaching squash at different levels is preferred; in particular: group and clinic-based coaching for beginner to intermediate level players; doubles experience a definite plus
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities with a commitment to youth development
- Ability to build trusting relationships across lines of difference
- Thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, proactive, and willing to “roll-up sleeves” to execute day-to-day activities
- Successful experience working with youth
- Previous YMCA work and/or volunteer experience
- Work as a team with other staff members and be willing to help others
- Keen interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are essential
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle competing priorities is critical
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and Club Locker or equivalent
- Ability to run squash events effectively
- Must be willing to work early mornings and/or evenings and some weekends.
- This full-time position is much more than a coaching job; it is about enhancing lives through the sport of squash.
- The ideal candidate will start in September 2022.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change. Models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well. Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a criminal background check and driving record check
- Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include: completion of: Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff; Working with Program Volunteers; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens
- Completion of YMCA program-specific certifications/US Squash
Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations (program-dependent).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Competitive salary range of $45,000 to $50,000 commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package: health, dental, and vision coverage; PTO policy 15 days + 11 paid holidays.
- 401k/403(b) retirement plan with company match
- Complimentary Y Membership
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic, independent non-profit that makes a difference in the community and the lives of those we serve
- Professional development and training opportunities plus opportunities for advancement in a growing organization
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY and THE AREA
The ideal candidate will be a high-energy, creative, hard-working, self-starter with strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Most importantly, candidates must show demonstrated success in building a squash community and experience managing staff/coaches/volunteers; technical expertise is secondary to this essential role of community builder. The incumbent will be excited to build a Community Squash Program on Aquidneck Island, with access to the Y’s 6,000 members who will have regular access to use the Y’s squash facilities. Three towns make up Aquidneck Island: Portsmouth, Middletown, Newport and the Y’s full service also includes the surrounding towns of Jamestown, Tiverton and Little Compton, RI. Newport County comprises public schools in each town plus several elite private schools (Portsmouth Abbey, St. Michael’s, St. George’s, Pennfield). Additional local amenities include, Fort Adams, Newport Hospital, the historic mansions on Bellevue Avenue, and the U.S. Naval War College in Newport. Candidates must hold a current driver’s license in good standing.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Newport County YMCA is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested candidates should send their resume and thoughtful cover letter as .pdf attachments with the email subject line of “Squash Director Position” to Mike Miller, NCYMCA CEO, at email@example.com No phone calls please.
To learn more about the Newport County YMCA, please visit: www.newportymca.org