The Heights Casino is looking to hire a Program Coordinator to join their world class coaching team. We have a large, vibrant and successful junior and adult squash program and a wonderful coaching team to serve our membership. The Program Coordinator/Squash Professional will be responsible for assisting the Director of Squash with the entire squash program offered by The Heights Casino.
The salary and hourly rate for this position is based on experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included – group health, dental and life coverage, PTO (personal time off), pension plan (after 2 years of employment), 401K plan, and meals while on duty.
The position is available starting August 22, 2022.
Applicants should submit their resume, references and letter to Jim Bamber, Interim Director of Squash, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Program Coordinator/Squash Professional position has a broad responsibility within the entire squash program offered by The Heights Casino. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the Director of Squash to run the Junior Program.
- Run the Super League, Mentoring, NY Bronze League, NYC Adult League, Parent Child and Round Robins.
- Planning, organizing and conducting squash practice sessions with an emphasis upon physical, tactical and technical development;
- On-court instruction, playing and competing with individual members;
- Providing instruction and clinics for junior/adult players;
- Playing lessons with regionally and nationally ranked players, including accompanying them to local, regional, national and international squash events, as needed;
- Participation in exhibition matches designed as demonstrations for members on physical, technical and tactical techniques;
- Providing proper charging of court fees, lesson fees and guest fees for members;
- Enforcing rules governing dress code and use of facilities;
- Promoting the Club via hospitality, friendliness and goodwill among members and guests;
- Identifying, encouraging and developing potential squash athletes;
- Adjusting coaching techniques based on the strengths and weaknesses of individual athletes;
- Communicating regarding program development, including facility, community and student player relations;
- Instructing individuals or groups in squash rules, game strategies, and performance principles, such as specific ways of moving the body, hands, or feet to achieve desired results;
- Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of opposing juniors in order to develop individualized competitive strategies;
- Providing squash fitness training direction, encouragement, and motivation in order to prepare members for games, competitive events, and tournaments;
- Court playing and competing with members; Playing and drilling with various Club Teams, at all levels of ability and for all age groups;
- Providing instructions and clinics for junior and adults players, inclusive of attendance at all aspects of the program, such as Round Robin, Superleague, Ladder matches – as required by the Squash Director;
- Assist and providing instructions and feedback for the Accelerated Program.
- Special playing lessons for the Regional and Nationally Ranked members;
- Assist with our Professional Squash Tournaments: Carol Weymuller women’s tournament and David C. Johnson men’s doubles tournament.
- Assist with co-coordinating the singles and doubles NYC league teams.
- Help create and run events/tournaments that encourage squash play amongst members in doubles and singles.
- Assist with the organization and running of the club leagues and ladder.
- Participate in junior coaching at all Casino sponsored Tournaments (singles and doubles), as scheduled by the Squash Program
- Representing the Club through participation in various singles and doubles tournaments – attendance to such tournaments shall not interfere with the overall Squash program calendar;
- Participation in Exhibition Matches designed to act as demonstration for members on playing and strategy techniques (usually followed by Questions & Answers);
- Ensure the maintenance and safety of the squash courts for participants with daily inspection of courts.
- Provide the proper charging/billing of court fees, lesson fees and guest fees for members.
- Assist, help develop a player rating system.
- Promote the club via the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness and good will among members and guests;
- Such other responsibilities as the Squash Department, General Manager and Board may reasonably request.
Summary Description of the Heights Casino
The Heights Casino is located in the heart of Brooklyn Heights just a block from the world-renowned Promenade and its unparalleled views of lower Manhattan and the New York harbor. It is also only a short subway ride from all that Manhattan offers. The Heights Casino was founded in 1904 and has served continuously since then as an indoor tennis and squash facility for youngsters, teenagers and adults of all ages. With 500 members, it is also a social center for its members and their guests and it hosts many private parties and community events. Facilities include a dining room, a bar and lounge and a fitness center in addition to six singles squash courts, one doubles squash court and two tennis courts.
The Heights Casino junior squash program is one of the largest and most successful in the USA. We also host two very prestigious and longstanding professional events that are also major Club social events, with the women’s Carol Weymuller tournament, which attracts many of the top women’s squash players in the world and the David Johnson Memorial professional squash doubles tournament, where all the top professional doubles players come to compete for this sought after title.