Racquet Up Detroit is an out-of-school youth development program which uses the sport of squash, in combination with academic tutoring, literacy development, fitness education, community service, and mentoring to make a lasting positive impact on the lives of Detroit public school students. Founded in 2010 through a collaboration with the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA), Racquet Up works with one hundred 5th through 12th grade students.
The organization is currently seeking an experienced squash player/coach to fill the role of Squash Director and lead all squash initiatives during a period of significant growth, beginning in September 2021. Responsibilities and expectations include, but are not limited to:
• Lead daily squash/fitness sessions during after-school hours (approximately 4:00pm – 7:00pm), as well as Saturday squash and fitness sessions (approximately 8:30am-12:00pm)
• Supervise, train, and support all squash coaching staff and volunteers
• Develop long-term squash and fitness training plan which will inform daily lessons/practices
• Manage squash equipment and uniforms for all program participants
• Oversee tournament selections and enrollment as well as US Squash memberships and SEA-related activities
• Ensure squash courts and fitness spaces are organized, clean, and inspiring
• Organize and run all amateur (US Squash), junior, collegiate, and professional-level squash tournaments
• Assist with management and implementation of fitness/nutrition program
• Assist with participant recruitment effort within partner schools and the broader community, leading to strong enrollment pipeline
• Support Education Staff in execution of academic program including homework help, literacy instruction, and in-school advocacy
• Track student attendance, timeliness, and preparation on a daily basis
• Manage pre- and post-program logistics, including walking students from school to the program facility, and ensuring a safe and orderly dismissal process
• Assist with driving students to and from program as needed
• Participate in weekend activities including community service projects, squash matches, cultural outings, and other field trips as needed, including multiple full-weekend trips
• Collaborate with Program Director and CEO to develop plan for broader community access to squash
• Execute the “squash component” of various Racquet Up endeavors including new ventures to fully utilize the new facility during the daytime, and which will potentially generate revenue
• Build caring, supportive, meaningful relationships with all students, staff, and volunteers
• Assist with additional projects and responsibilities as needed
The program will operate at its new 8-court facility in Northwest Detroit starting in January 2022.
The ideal candidate will be a high-energy, creative, hard-working, self-starter with strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Most importantly, candidates must show clear technical expertise, experience managing staff/coaches, and demonstrated success in building a squash community. Candidates must hold a current driver’s license in good standing. Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter highlighting squash playing/coaching and leadership experience to Derek Aguirre, Executive Director, as an email attachment to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Learn more at www.racquetup.org.
Racquet Up Detroit is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. International candidates are welcome to apply.