Location: Trinity College, Hartford, CT
Type: Full Time
Start Date: Fall 2021
About Capitol Squash
Capitol Squash serves 50 youth from Hartford by providing them both rigorous academic and athletic enrichment. Capitol Squash’s mission is to empower youth of Hartford to reach their potential as athletes, students, and engaged citizens. Based out of Trinity College, Capitol Squash strives to provide youth with life- changing opportunities through the sport of squash, intensive educational support, mentoring, and community service activities. Guided by an ‘inch wide, mile deep’ philosophy of youth programming, Capitol Squash begins working with students in elementary school and engages them in year-round programming through high school and college.
Capitol Squash is seeking a driven, innovative Squash Coordinator with a passion for supporting young people and putting them on the path to achieving their goals. The Squash Coordinator will manage a year-round squash program, planning and implementing practices at Trinity College’s Ferris Athletic facilities. The Squash Coordinator will work closely with the Program Director and Executive Director to ensure the successful development, planning, and administration of the program. The successful candidate will bring a passion for inspiring, mentoring, and guiding young people as well as a strong background in squash and coaching.
- Plan and administer daily after-school squash/fitness sessions
- Build strong relationships with students and their families, through constant interaction including phone calls and meetings
- Supervise all squash coaching volunteers, including Trinity students
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Program Director to meet the needs of your teams and ensure a fully integrated curriculum (education, health, and life-skill)
- Record, track, and evaluate daily student attendance and progress
- Manage all equipment and uniforms for students
- Coordinate squash component of tryouts
- Communicate with families and staff about issues related to student effort and development
- Schedule and coordinate team squash matches, US Squash Junior tournaments, and Squash + Education matches and tournaments.
- Coordinate team trips and other tournaments
- Plan and run a 5-week intensive summer squash program and coordinate additional summer opportunities including summer squash camp opportunities
- Collect and update paperwork for students such as parent contracts and physicals
- Assist with academic sessions and tutor students
- Collaborate and communicate with Capitol Squash staff, families, and community partners
- Assist with community service projects
- Drive students as needed to and from practices, tournaments, matches, summer camps, and community service projects, including weekend tournaments and
- Manage donor and volunteer database
- Assist with additional projects and responsibilities as needed
- Experience coaching squash and/or experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Substantial squash playing experience
- Outstanding speaking, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Reliable, responsible, disciplined, engaged, self-reflective, and open to receiving and giving feedback to strive to improve
- Able to work Monday-Fridays, and most Saturdays
- Must have 3 years driving experience and valid driver’s license and ability to pass background and driver record check
General hours during the school year are Monday-Friday, 10am-6:45pm. Summer hours are generally Monday- Friday 8am-4pm. This position entails travel and weekend work, averaging 2 Saturdays each month. Candidates can expect hours that at times extend beyond the scheduled workday.
Capitol Squash values long-term, deep, impactful work with participants and cultivating strong, positive relationships with students and families is crucial to our success. Candidates should be prepared to commit to Capitol Squash for at least two years.
Compensation and Benefits
- Squash offers competitive compensation commensurate with
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- 6 weeks paid vacation (with some restrictions) and additional organization holidays off
- Health and dental insurance offered
- Cell phone subsidy
Candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Executive Director Meg Taylor using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Squash Coordinator
Capitol Squash is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.