Squash Coordinator | Position Description
Start Date: July 6, 2021
Salary/Wage: Commensurate with Experience
MetroSquash was founded in 2005 as an out-of-school time program for Chicago Public School students. The first MetroSquash class consisted of 10 students in fifth grade, and utilized squash courts and classroom space at the University of Chicago. Each year, a grade level was added to realize a pathway of service from 5th grade through post-secondary completion. In 2015, the organization successfully raised over $8M to construct a permanent home – the Hussain MetroSquash Center in Woodlawn. MetroSquash now has 20 full time staff serving over 400 students and their families each year. In 2018, MetroSquash opened its first satellite location in Evanston to serve students just north of Chicago. MetroSquash Evanston currently serves 40 6th-8th graders and utilizes academic and court space at the McGaw YMCA. The program is now exploring plans to expand to the West Side of Chicago.
The Middle School Squash Coordinator reports to the Woodlawn Program Director and plays a key role in supporting middle school students, 5th grade through 8th grade, with reaching their full potential on & off the squash courts. This is an exciting opportunity to help build MetroSquash into a national leader in program quality and excellence in squash and fitness.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Build a relationship and rapport with all middle school students, 5th grade through 8th grade, and their families while promoting the mission and values of MetroSquash.
- Create and maintain a structured and fun learning environment for all middle school students, through daily lesson plans, building and maintaining a strong sense of community, and conducting family meetings throughout the year.
- Collaborate with the Academic and Enrichment Department to foster a fully integrated approach to academic, athletic and wellness development for each middle school student.
- Work with the Academic Coordinator to help recruit and retain a minimum 20 students per grade, 5th grade through 8th grade, attending outreach events throughout the year aimed at engaging prospective students.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of student participation in junior tournaments, Squash and Education Alliance (SEA) squash events, and external summer squash camps.
- Track high school squash testing, tournament participation, attendance and all other relevant program metrics.
- Help supervise squash volunteers, Up2Us coaches, and student workers during after-school programming.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates should possess the majority of the following: Bachelor’s Degree in education, counseling, or related field; experience working with traditionally underrepresented students, particularly at the middle school level; demonstrated ability to thrive in high-functioning, fast-paced environment; strong communication and problem-solving skills; comfort with data tracking and goal-setting; strong interpersonal skills with a willingness and desire to engage with diverse stakeholders. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a 12-15 passenger van a must.
General hours during the school year are Monday-Friday 11am-7pm or Tuesday-Saturday, depending on need. Summer hours are generally Monday-Friday 8am-4pm. This position entails travel and weekend work, averaging 2 Saturdays each month. Candidates can expect hours that at times extend beyond the scheduled workday.
Vacation and Business Hours:
20 days paid vacation in the first year, 25 in the second year and 30 in each subsequent year. Full health coverage, including dental.
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls please.