The University of Virginia is a highly competitive Division I program committed to academic and athletic excellence. The Department of Athletics at the University of Virginia is now accepting applications for the position of Assistant Coach for the Men’s and Women’s Squash programs.
The Assistant Coach is responsible for performing various duties and responsibilities, including (but not limited to): coaching, instructing, recruiting, counseling, monitoring student-athlete academic performance, designing training sessions, collaborating on game plans and strategies, adhering to compliance requirements, and other sport program administrative functions.
The Assistant Coach will:
• Explain and enforce rules and regulations to protect student athletes, and ensure that policies and procedures are followed.
• Study opposing teams to identify weaknesses and avenues for success.
• Collaborate on conceptualizing and developing practice and game day plans.
• Monitor the conditioning and training of student athletes, in conjunction with Strength and Conditioning, Sports Nutrition, and Sports Medicine.
• Initiate and maintain a strong partnership with the Academic Affairs unit to support the academic requirements of student athletes.
• Assist with coordinating and performing various administrative tasks and often serving as a liaison with particular operational units, such as the Equipment Room, Business Office, Compliance Office, and Facilities Office.
The anticipated start date for this position is August 16th, 2021.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: Some experience in coaching Squash.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the sport program and the ability to teach technical aspects of the sport. Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to work well under pressure and with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Ability to understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Education: Bachelor’s (or higher) in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Sport Management, or a related field.
Experience: A minimum of a Level 1 coaching certification. Student-athlete and coaching experience in a team environment. Athletic and coaching experience at the professional level. Athletic accolades with regard to the sport of Squash. Administrative oversight experience (i.e. budgeting, program planning, travel, etc.).
Highly Preferred: A player who has competed at either the intercollegiate level or on the PSA world tour. Due to the hands-on (i.e. on-court) nature of this coaching position, the ability to play at a competitive level and feed accurately will be prioritized.
To apply, please see this link: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs/job/Charlottesville-VA/Assistant-Coach–Men-s-and-Women-s-Squash_R0023668. Complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration (please note that all documents can be uploaded into the “Resume” box). For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at email@example.com.