Salary Range: $35,000-$45,000 Type: Full Time
Benefits: Health, no vision or dental Start Date: June 2021
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
About Steel City Squash
Steel City Squash is a non-profit community organization that aims to help each child realize his or her academic and personal potential through long-term, rigorous programming in academic tutoring, squash instruction, STEM enrichment, and community engagement. Founded in 2014 through a collaboration with the Squash and Education Alliance (SEA), the University of Pittsburgh, and local community leaders, Steel City Squash has grown to support over 60 students in and around Pittsburgh.
About the Position
Steel City Squash is seeking a driven, innovative Squash Director with a passion for supporting students and significant coaching/playing experience to join the program during an exciting phase of growth. This position will oversee the development and implementation of a rigorous squash and fitness program for Steel City Squash, develop and implement a comprehensive Health and Wellness program, oversee summer opportunities for current Steel City Squash students, and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director. Ideal candidate should also be comfortable serving as an academic tutor and mentor. This position is not just a coaching job and requires someone committed to equitable education and youth development.
- Facilitate daily after-school squash and fitness sessions (Mon-Fri, 3-6:30pm) and weekend squash and fitness sessions as needed (Sat, 9-11am; Sun, 1-3pm).
- Supervise all part-time coaching staff and volunteers
- Develop and implement long-term squash, fitness and nutrition curriculum with standards to track and inform daily lessons
- Manage US Squash memberships for all students as well as ClubLocker profiles, scoring, ladders, etc.
- Manage student enrollment in Squash and Education Alliance (SEA) sanctioned events and US Squash tournaments
- Oversee squash uniform and equipment inventory/maintenance and ensure clean and welcoming space by the courts
- Run 5 weeks of intensive summer squash program and coordinate opportunities with other squash-related summer programs
- Manage student data including attendance, academic performance, squash and fitness performance, and other benchmarks
- Manage pre- and post-program logistics, including transporting students from school and back home (as needed)
- Plan and participate in weekend activities including community service projects, squash matches, cultural outings, and other field trips as needed
- Network with other organizations, squash clubs and other services to refer students and provide opportunities during the summer months
- Collaborate on program-wide initiatives and projects
- Support students in their athletic, academic, and personal growth through programming and relationship-building
- High-energy, creative and hard-working with a commitment to learn and grow
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs and culture of youth from diverse communities
- Significant experience playing and coaching squash; in particular, group and clinic-based coaching for beginner to intermediate level players
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills a must
- Excellent writing, research, and computer skills
- Experience or interest in marketing and communications a plus
- Valid driver’s license with clean record and comfort/capacity to drive a 15 passenger bus
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to Brad Young, Executive Director, at email@example.com or to the address below:
Steel City Squash
University of Pittsburgh
Department of Health and Physical Activity
140 Trees Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Steel City Squash is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.