US Squash is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which serves as the only national governing body and membership organization for the sport in the United States. The organization is a member of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee, the World Squash and Pan American Squash Federations. It is seeking a person motivated by the organization’s mission to serve in the role of Ganek Family US Squash Head National Coach.
US Squash seeks an individual interested in being part of the US Squash leadership team and organization that pushes the sport and U.S. athletes to new heights.
This is a full time position reporting to the US Squash President & CEO in collaboration with the Director of National Teams, and is based at the Arlen Specter US Squash Center. The National Coach is responsible for designing and implementing year-round, multi-year plans for training and coaching high- performance athletes in order to achieve the best results possible at the international level. The National Coach will oversee and be responsible for all initiatives associated with Team USA Squash in line with the values of US Squash.
US Squash is building the world’s finest squash center to be a home for the sport in the U.S. Opening in Philadelphia this fall on the campus of Drexel University, the Specter Center will feature eighteen singles courts—including two all-glass exhibition courts—and two doubles courts, and offer athletes state-of- the-art development resources including a High Performance Center with the most advanced training and analytics tools available. The facility will house a community-engagement-focused Learning & Innovation Center, the U.S. Squash Hall of Fame, and serve as US Squash’s national headquarters.
Athlete development at the Specter Center will work in close concert with Drexel’s award-winning Division I athletic facilities, where the Dragons athletic department has been an innovator in training methods and sports science. The Specter Center will also play host to the most significant events on the U.S. championship calendar and deliver an unequalled experience to participants.
The Center will also serve as the global base for the sport and be the home for the top U.S. athletes. International collaboration in pursuing excellence will be a focus of the Center, inviting top international coaches and players to work in-residence to elevate the sport.
US Squash is pursuing a bold vision: To be the best national sports governing body in the United States. US Squash is rooted in its core values of integrity, inclusion and innovation, has a clear mission, and a proven track record of success. We are leaders at a global level, and we are driving the future of the sport. This is a unique moment in time with the opening of the Specter Center and a critical inflection point for sport. We will now leverage the increased profile the Specter Center to grow squash dramatically, make squash accessible to all who wish to participate, while further developing our world- leading high performance program to field the best athletes and earn World Championship titles.
Unlike any coaching role in the world, the confluence of a re-defined National Coach role and the finest squash facility in the world, backed by the largest and leading national squash federation, provides an unparalleled opportunity to establish a program of sustained excellence.
Goals for the National Coach and the high performance program will be established collaboratively and will be in sync with goals for US Squash and the Specter Center overall, which will offer expansive community access programs to expose the game to a broad cross-section of new players and build on current momentum in US Squash’s high-performance programming by providing world-class training resources for in-residence professionals and squads of Team USA’s top junior, college, and adult players.
Details of the Principal Responsibilities
- Design, implement and manage programs supporting high performance pathways for athletes;
- Supervise the training and technical development of US Squash Elite Athlete Program members and coaching staff for all US Squash high performance programs such as US Squash Academy, Squads, International ties;
- Direct the national and regional coaching staff in collaboration with the Director of National Teams, and coordinate the integration of other experts, including strength and conditioning, nutrition and sports science professionals;
- Serve in a leadership role in coach education and development programs;
- Coach Team USA and assigned athletes during major individual and team competitions globally;
- Gather, develop and share knowledge regarding the technical aspects of squash in a collaborative way with local, regional and international coaches and athletes, both at the Specter Center and in locally based engagements across the country;
- Engage and support all Specter Center programming and staff team members, building natural links between and among the array of activities and audiences the Center engages on a year- round basis;
- Represent Team USA and US Squash nationally and internationally as a leader in the sport to promote the interests of the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience desired in the Candidates
Successful candidates will have the ability to work within a leadership team, will share the values of US Squash and will be committed to the long term vision and mission of the organization, and :
- Proven experience as a technical expert in squash at a world-class level;
- Experience and demonstrated ability to successfully create and lead high performance programs;
- Excellent written, verbal communication and public speaking skills;
- Ability to work in and manage teams successfully to achieve goals;
- Competence in planning and general administration;
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Salary offered to be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Health, dental, vision and retirement benefits included, and relocation support in housing, schools, and other family circumstances to be taken into consideration.
Interested candidates are kindly asked to send cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 7th, 2020.
The position, which is currently held on a part time basis by Paul Assaiante, is expected to transition by Summer 2020.
US Squash is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, marital status, disability, national origin, ancestry, or any other characteristic protected by law.